Wednesday, September 1, 2010

App Wars: Hulu Plus v. Netflix

I was considering getting Hulu Plus for my iPhone, but the cost of the application and the $10 a month fee did not seem worth it. Then I read this article, "I just Dumped Hulu Plus - Here's Why," and I realized that Dan Frommer was naming all by biggest fears about getting Hulu Plus. Anyways, heres a comparison of the Netflix and Hulu Plus apps:

Hulu Plus:


When I think of Hulu, I think of their first Super Bowl commercial with Alex Baldwin. They were the website where I can watch tv for free online, without needing a cable or satellite tv subscription. I wrote about Hulu in one of my first blog posts for OE. Hulu represented the free course that tv is headed in, up there with seriesgringas and other online tv watching mediums.

Pros:

  • Can watch most new tv shows on fox and nbc
  • Has a cool layout, especially for an iPad, and would be great on a road trip

Cons:

  • $10/ month
  • Is missing a lot of new network tv programs that are on cbs and other networks
  • Does not have the best movie selection
  • Cost an extra $10 a month for a service considered to be free


Netflix:

Netflix can be watched from anywhere on any platform. Enough said...


Pros:

  • Comes with a netflix supscription. So with a single neflix subscription you can watch netflix from yout ipad, iphone, plex, xbox 360, ps3, computer, or pretty much any electronic device.
  • Has a pretty good tv selection, but an amazing movie selection

Cons:

  • Monthly bill
  • Interface could be a little bit better
  • Better search function would be nicer



In the end, Netfilx is certainly worth the monthly bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment